Why is updating my website so important?
My site gets so little traffic that I don’t think I would be targeted by hackers. Do I still need an update service?
Can’t I just click a few buttons and update everything?
My website’s up-to-date and I enjoy updating. Do I still need you?
Does every kind of site need updating?
Who are your clients?
Are there any sites you don’t work with?
I already have backup software installed. Do you still need to install yours?
If you make ongoing updates, will my website continue to look and work the same?
I have a really old version of WordPress. Will my site still look the same after you update it?
How Eagle Eye Updates works
What do I get for $30 per month?
- Much improved security against hacking
- Prompt updating of all plugins, usually done 2–3 times per week, and prompt updating of WordPress software—the best insurance against hacking!
- A daily backup of your WP database and a weekly backup of your entire site stored in an offsite location
- A 12-week archive of your site (12 stored backups)
- A way to put your site into Maintenance Mode in the unlikely event is does get hacked
- A free restore of your site from a clean backup if it gets hacked
- Monthly reports that show:
- Which plugins were updated that month
- When your website was backed up
- What percentage of time your site was up and running (should be close to 100%!)
- Peace of mind from knowing your website is updated, protected, and backed up regularly
- Satisfaction that you are making the world a little less friendly for hackers
How do I enroll in Eagle Eye Updates?
What happens after I enroll?
If my site is good to go, how do you start my updating service?
- We log in to your admin panel and install several plugins for access and reporting. If our plugins are not compatible with your website (unlikely), we refund your subscription.
- We tighten your site against hackers with a few simple modifications.
- We install a simple program that allows your site to be placed in Maintenance Mode in the unlikely event it does get hacked. This program is independent of WordPress, so you can use it regardless of almost any WordPress hacking.
When does my subscription actually begin?
What happens if I miss a recurring payment, like my credit card expires?
How do I know that Eagle Eye Updates is working?
- You’ll get monthly reports showing the updates and backups that have been made on your site.
- If you want to check independently, you can log in to your WP admin panel and check how many plugins are waiting to be updated. Most often there will be 0, sometimes 1 or 2, rarely 3 or more.
What happens if my site does get hacked?
- As soon as you discover the hack, you put your site into Maintenance Mode using the program we installed.
- Notify us of the hack at .
- On the next business day (perhaps sooner), we’ll restore your website from the most recent clean backup at no additional charge.
- We’ll also work with you to change all passwords—WordPress users, database, hosting account—and also to change the encoding salts to log out anyone who might be logged in.
What happens if an update made by Eagle Eye Updates crashes my site?
Most updates proceed without any issues, but occasionally there’s a glitch. Here’s how we handle it:
- We test updates first on an off-line clone of your site to see how your plugins handle it.
- As we learn how your plugins respond, we make minor updates for the trusted plugins directly on your site without testing first on the clone site.
- When a plugin offers a major update, we test the update first on our clone site before updating your live site.
If some incompatibility gets through our screening, you will likely be the one who sees it first—something looks funny on your site.
To avoid the chance that you’ll discover problems on weekends, we make most updates Monday through Thursday. (Urgent updates, of course, are made ASAP regardless of day of the week.)
If you see a problem, email us right away at . As soon as we hear from you, we will check it out. If it’s a minor issue that we can fix in 5 or 10 minutes, we’ll do that at no charge; if the problem is more significant, we will restore the site from a backup and then talk with you to figure out next steps. If a plugin has a history of creating problems with updates, we may choose to temporarily ignore its updates and work with you to find an alternative.
I have a plugin that requires an annual registration fee. Will you update my subscription plugins?
I have a plugin that sends me an update notification by email, and then I download the update and upload it manually. Do you update these plugins?
Why do I need a site review?
What exactly happens in a site review?
- We check to see if your site has been hacked. (We can clean a hacked site for an additional fee.)
- If your site is clean, we make the first complete backup.
- Then we check to see how outdated your site is. Will updating it be easy (good to go!), or is it so out-of-date that updating it crashes it? Outdated sites will need to be fixed before moving forward with Eagle Eye Updates. (We can likely fix your outdated site with a separate proposal and fee.)
I want to use your service on a brand-new website. Do I still need a site review?
What is Maintenance Mode?
Why is Maintenance Mode important?
- If hackers deface your webpages, visitors might freak out. That would lower their trust in you and your brand. They might also post on social sites that your site was hacked, spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) about you.
- Google has a way of identifying hacked sites and could put you on a blacklist so your website would not appear in search results. Being in Maintenance Mode prevents blacklisting.
How do I turn on Maintenance Mode?
When we set up Maintenance Mode for your website, we customize the program with a username and password that you choose. Go to http://YOURWEBSITE.com/maintenance_mode to get to the login page where you enter the username and password.
This will take you in to the control panel. When you get to the control panel, you’ll see 3 options: Test, Enable, and Disable, with a box underneath indicating which of the 3 is active (see screenshots below). Click on “Set” to the right of the option you want to be active.
- “Test” allows you to check how maintenance mode looks in your browser (open another tab or window to check). Site visitors will still see your website as usual. (Be sure to turn off Test before you log out from the control panel.)
- “Enable” turns on Maintenance Mode for all website visitors except you. You still see the website, and this gives you the ability to review any problems and find solutions.
- “Disable” turns off Maintenance Mode completely. All site visitors will see your website as usual.